I feel very blessed to live in the USA, even with the problems that we have. Yesterday I got a manicure at a salon where I go frequently and have gotten to know the owners. They are both from Vietnam. As he was doing my nails we were talking about my recent trip to the Dominican Republic and I was telling him that it is a poor country. The people are friendly and the country is beautiful but poor. The average income in the Dominican Republic is around $320.00 per month or 6000 pesos He was telling me that his family supported the USA cause during the war but that after the war, things got pretty bad. They had no health care and no dental care. He told me that at times they did not have enough to eat but his family took pride in walking their children to school every day. He likes taking his 5 year old daughter to school every day and walks her to her class room. This reminds him of his parents walking him to school. One day he peeked in to her classroom and she saw him and she said “go away Daddy”. At five years of age she wants some independence.
He is so proud to be an American. If only most of us knew how a lot of people in other countries lived, then they would appreciate what we have in our country. I am also proud to be an American and blessed to live in the USA.
Phyllis Burns, owner of Burns Mailing & Printing, Inc.
Our bindery department does all the paper cutting, folding, collating, drilling and other finishing operations used in printing projects.
- SCORING: The process of making a crease in the paper so that it will fold easily.
- PERFORATING: The process of punching lines of a very small holes into the paper to make a section easy to tear off.
- EMBOSSING: The molding and reshaping of paper by the use of special metal dies and heat, counter dies and pressure, to produce a raised image o the paper surface
- FOIL STAMPING: Impressing metallic foil onto paper with a heated die.
- LAMINATION: Applying thin transparent plastic sheets to both sides of a sheet of paper, providing scuff resistance, waterproofing and extended use.
- DIE CUTTING: The process of cutting paper in a shape or design by the use of a wooden die or block in which are positioned steel rules in the shape of the desired pattern.
Above is a picture of a folder used in commercial printing.
If you have need for graphic design, digital printing, offset printing and direct mail email me, Phyllis Burns, at email@example.com or call me at 865 584-2265.
I have been blessed to travel with my family over the last 5 years. Our spring trip this year was to Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic. This was one of the most relaxing trips we have taken. I think that everyone recharged and relaxed. I read 4 novels while I was there and got lots of sunshine and good food. We also celebrated Michael’s 24th birthday.
We did drive to Samana, about a 3 hour drive from Juan Dolio to do some whale watching. Samana is where the mother whales come to give birth and train their calves for the long trip back to the Boston area. We saw two mother whales with their calves. One of the calves breached and gave us a thrill. I have tried to see the whales in Hawaii, Boston and California, to no avail. Either it was the wrong time of year and in the case of Boston, the weather was so bad the boats could not go out.
Back at work today, doing what we do best..graphic design, printing & direct mail. Thanks to all my great employees for keeping things going while I was gone.